J .F. Collins and Son Funeral Home opened in Acworth in 1886. The business actually began as Daniel Collins Chair Factory in 1870, where caskets were built and sold from a room attached to the store. When Daniel Collins died his son, James F. Collins, took over the business. James F. Collins ran the funeral home until he died in 1924 and his son, Ernest Lemon Collins took over the business.
Ernest L. Collins graduated from Southern College of Embalming in 1908. He managed the business until he died. In 1958 Ernest Collins daughter, Lola (Collins) Swanson became the owner. Lola graduated from Gupton-Jones College of Embalming in 1937 as did her husband, Hartley D. Swanson. Known as Miss Lola, She was the first female Licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer in the State Of Georgia.
The first funeral home building was located in an old store establishment on Northside Drive in Acworth. The present location is at 4947 North Main Street. After the death of Mr. Swanson, the funeral home was operated by their grandson, Hartley Gray. Hartley Gray sold the business to it's present owner, Chuck Johnson (former owner of Hay-Gantt Funeral Home, Marietta, GA) in May of 2000.He also founded Johnson Ambulance Service in 1981. Our brand new State of the Art facility is open and ready to serve our community. The Marietta Funeral Home located at 915 Piedmont Road Marietta 30066. We are proud to extend our 143 year heritage to Marietta. Still Privately owned and operated by lifelong residents and employees of this community.